My last blog post was about setting up an online business, expressing your passion, and making the decision to make money online. Just about every type of industry you can think of that might interest you is represented by some type of sales opportunity.
Here’s the problem as I see it. You need money. You have been downsized, laid off, fired, or unemployed. Maybe you just need extra money each month to pay the bills and keep a roof over your head… and oh, yeah, eat. Then someone approaches you with the idea that you ought to try an online business. It might be top tier direct sales, regular direct sales, MLM or network marketing, affiliate marketing, article writing, or something along these lines. Maybe they even suggest doing a bit of everything simultaneously.
As I stated in an earlier post and video, this makes things very confusing for the newbie to qualify an opportunity. I’m going to clear things up for you so you don’t spend too much time or money to see if this is really something that is a good fit for you! I know, tons of websites promise you that “If so-and-so can do it and be successful, so can you!” Well, of course that’s what they will say! They’re trolling for a big fish (a Golden-Member type). They don’t have much to lose, but YOU do. Not everyone is going to be successful with an online business. Why do you think sponsors “qualify” potential partners, candidates, enrollees? This is BUSINESS. Forget that you might be their neighbor, friend, ex-co-worker, or relative… they don’t want to waste their time (and remember time is money) on those that aren’t gonna make it. THAT’S the truth! The majority of people that take the hook and the worm will either quit or never ever make a cent. There are opportunities where you just sign up, buy products each month and hope for the best. I’m not referring to those but the real money-making opportunities where you can achieve 7-figures annually and then some.
Here are a few facts that you need to consider as you look around the Internet at all the opportunities that exist today.
1. Passion. My last post was about passion. This is W-O-R-K. So, what will motivate you? What really excites you in life? What do you enjoy doing in your spare time? If you have a few ideas on just what your passion might be and do a little research online, you’ll find some good companies out there that sound interesting. But, be aware: I have known stubborn people who have spent tens-of-thousands of dollars trying to find the right opportunity, or the right technique to make enough money to have a purely online business income lifestyle. If you’re ready to gamble and spend some dollars, there are people out there who will take your money! If you were to ask the people that spent all that money and eventually did get back on track what they would do differently, they would say they wished they would have paid a good qualified coach or mentor $125 per hour for a few real lessons and instructions on what to do! Did you know that a sponsor, coach, or mentor is almost absolutely necessary in order to insure your success so you don’t get off track and get completely confused and lost? Isn’t hindsight a great teacher?
2. Entrepreneurial Mindset. Along with passion, which I categorize under an emotional reaction to something you enjoy, it takes a certain mindset to succeed online. An entrepreneur enjoys the day-to-day challenges, becomes adept at being a great strategist and understands that they must have several streams of income not just a couple. They know that passive long-term income is as essential as the fast short-term so that their entire income is not dependent on their time. This way, they are not “selling” time for money. Otherwise, they still only have a j-o-b working for themselves. An entrepreneur knows how to gain the greatest benefit from each opportunity, knows how to bring in new prospects and convert them to paying clients; not just once, but repeatedly. You have to be willing to plan, follow the plan, learn to strategize, be able to understand and read the results, take calculated risks, re-evaluate, and learn from the strategies that fail. You will fail, we all do. Just learn from the experience and don’t repeat! Master the appropriate mindset and achieve.
3. What is your budget? Every real money-making opportunity that could really make you money fairly quickly and get serious for the long-term will cost to get into it. So what kind of a one-time fee or monthly commitment can you realistically afford? Be honest with yourself. Realize that as you learn and grow, you will have to commit dollars to grow this investment. Yes, a business is an investment (time, money, effort, implementing what you’ve learned, training others, teaching, duplicating systems…
4. You may not be aware of it right now, but you will be EXPECTED to be a Leader! That means you have to draw others to you, get them to trust you. You will be expected to teach others what you have learned if you become successful. The main business systems today rely on duplication. So, you first need to know how to follow directions, instructions, and learn it all yourself. Then, you share it with others and teach them to do the same.
5. Marketing (getting the word out) will be crucial. What is your background with either running or operating a business (online or offline)? Many things that will be necessary for your success can be taught; other things cannot. I am preparing to utilize a complete A-Z Automated Marketing System. The results of the system from both people I know and case-studies show great results with Alexa.com rankings within just a couple of month’s time. This means qualified leads will be driven straight to me and joint-venture opportunities will open up for me. If you choose or have to do each aspect of marketing personally, you have to prepare yourself to learn each crucial step, set up your own system step-by-step, and then maintain it and watch over it. Dollars don’t just flow into your account like magic! You will also have to keep on top of all the latest trends, dos and don’ts. Your marketing system will make or break you. Part of this system is that you have to create an email list to market your stuff to. Are you willing to do what it takes to make that happen? To do it right, you don’t market “to the list” but build relationships. Do you like people? Are you motivated to help others? Do you honestly care about what THEY need above your own needs?
6. What would you do if you had a great sponsor and they quit your particular opportunity? You know that excited person that couldn’t wait to lead you down the path to making a fortune online? Hmmm… where did they go? I know many who go through several network marketing or direct sales opportunities each year! That’s right! Whatever looks like the next hot thing, they quit their current company and go running! You have to make sure you have a solid support system in order to really succeed.
7. Do you have true desire to be successful? This is a mindset and an emotional thing. Many people say they want to create true wealth from home instead of making someone else rich at a job, but only 10% really have a core desire to do so. So, do you have the core desire or are you part of the 90% crowd?
This is not the entire list of things that I feel are important for you to consider. Maybe after reading this post you just might think I’m negative about these sales techniques. Not at all! I’m just being real with you. It’s not for everyone. But, for those that catch the vision, are willing to spend the time and effort (and some reasonable dollars, too) I’m willing to share more helpful tips to help you identify what is working and what is not working online today. In the end, the decision will indeed be yours. You just might be the “Golden-Member” or “Golden-Candidate” that everyone is looking for or you might be someone that doesn’t really qualify and decide it’s not for you. I’m not writing this post to convince you what is right for you. I’m just trying to take you through the reality of the process and you decide for yourself if you really want it. If you do, I want to help you see what will be necessary to achieve the success you seek online. If you do it right, it can be extremely lucrative. It works for me!
Since you don’t know me all that well just yet, I thought you might like the perspective of an expert. David Bach is a well-respected author that devotes an entire chapter on Direct Sales. Don’t hesitate to contact me and let me know if this post has been useful to you.
To your prosperity and online success,